A webcam is an essential peripheral device for any computer system. To ensure its proper functioning, make sure to test it. If you are a Windows 10 or 11 user, then testing your webcam for its proper functioning is an easy process. Following are some ways to do it:
Built-in Camera App (Windows 10 and 11):
- Navigate to the bottom left of the screen to find the Start button. Click on it.
- Once it opens up, type “Camera” in the search box. When the results appear, select the Camera app.
- Now, take this as a hint. If you see a live video feed of yourself on the screen, your webcam is working.
- In some cases, you may not directly see your live feed, and you will be prompted to grant certain access to your camera. Grant the access, and you should be able to see yourself.
Settings App (Windows 10 and 11):
- Navigate to the bottom left of the screen to find the Start button. Click on it, scroll down, and select the Settings gear icon.
- Out of the displayed options, select Privacy. On the left-hand side, you will find the Camera option. Select it.
- Next, under the “Allow access to the camera on this device,” check if it is toggled on. If not, toggle it on.
- Lastly, scroll down to find “Allow apps to access your camera” and ensure that even this is toggled on.
- Below this option, you can manage what other apps have access to the camera.
Device Manager (Windows 10 and 11):
- In the bottom left corner of your screen is the Start button. Right-click on it and select Device Manager.
- You will be led to a list of expandable options. Find the Cameras or Imaging Devices section and click on it to expand the available options.
- Now, right-click on your webcam. Look for Properties and select it.
- After selecting it, you will find the Driver tab, and under that, check for any pending driver updates. You can also find a list of other issues you must troubleshoot.
Online Webcam Test (Windows 10 and 11):
- Another simple way to ensure your webcam functions efficiently is to check for it online. Open any of your web browsers and visit a reliable site such as webcamtest.com or testwebcam.com to check for the functioning of your webcam.
- You will be shown some instructions on the screen. Just follow them and grant permission to the website to access your webcam.
Third-party Software (Windows 10 and 11):
- You can download and install third-party webcam testing software from reliable and genuine sources.
- Some trusted software apps are ManyCam or CyberLink YouCam.
- Install the software, launch it, and follow the instructions on your screen.
Using any one of the above methods will help you ensure that your webcam is working properly. Also, while ensuring the proper working of your webcam, you may come across other related issues that may need your immediate addressing.
Another key thing to remember is to always look for driver and software updates so that your webcam gives you the desired performance!