In today’s digital and fast-paced world, hacking is quite common, and your Gmail and Google accounts are highly vulnerable. If your accounts are compromised, then all the data that they hold will be compromised, too.
But to ensure that you avoid landing up in such a situation, we have several ways. Follow these steps to protect your accounts:
- Confirm Recovery Information:
- Make sure you have updated your recovery phone number and email address. It is necessary to ensure that they are up-to-date, as in the case that you are locked out of your account, or you need to recover it, you have to either use your recovery phone number or recovery email address.
- Use Strong, Unique Passwords:
- Ensure you have created a strong and unique password for your Google account. For assistance, you can use a password generator that will help you create a difficult password that attackers will not be able to crack.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA):
- Never forget to enable the two-factor authentication. The two-factor authentication calls for an added layer of security. You will have to verify your identity for this authentication to work. You have to do so by using a second method. These methods include a code sent to your phone whenever you log in from a new device or location.
- Review Account Permissions:
- Make it a point to regularly review and clean up apps that have permission to access your Google account. If there are apps that you no longer use, revoke their access to your device and account.
- Monitor Account Activity:
- Navigate to the Recent Security Activity section in your Google account settings and check for any unusual activity. Some unusual activity may include logins from unfamiliar devices and locations.
- Change Compromised Passwords:
- If you think or suspect that your passwords are leaked, be quick and change them at the earliest. If you have other accounts with similar passwords, ensure that you change them too.
- Email Encryption:
- Remember that Google encrypts emails when at rest and when in transit between data centers to enhance privacy and security.
- Enhanced Safe Browsing (Optional):
- For an added layer of protection, enable the ‘Enhanced Safe Browsing .’ This protects your data while you are browsing and also allows Google to block malicious sites even before you open them unknowingly.
- Backup Contact Method:
- Review and update all your backup contact methods occasionally because you must use them whenever you need to recover your account.
Following the above steps will boost the security of your Gmail and Google accounts. Remember that in the digital world, it is important that you safeguard your personal information.